Chatter Box
A bit of everything

@ Community Service

There is a small philanthropist in me. He comes out frequently and enjoys doing his bit for the needy. But on Friday (June 11, 2010), he got a great opportunity to meet and spend some time at a home for the abandoned old-aged on the outskirts of Hyderabad. It was a part of Deloitte's community service initiative.

To be frank, I was not really excited, but was looking forward to the day. As I live with my grandparents, I understand how desperate elderly people are for support and how much joy a small hello can bring to them.

We were at the place by about 10:30. The whole event started slowly with the caretaker giving us some background. It was followed by personal interactions with the inmates. Everyone had a bitter reason to be there. While some were left alone by their children, some others lost their families. As we probed them more, we discovered mathematicians, talented singers, post graduates, etc.

Fun started in the afternoon as we gathered some of the inmates and some poor villagers around under a shade. Team games, lunch, dancing, and singing followed making it a memorable event. What more! I hosted all the afternoon events, explaining the rules of the games, persuading, and encouraging the crowd to take part.

At about 4:30 pm, on behalf on my team, I bid adieu to the cheering crowd who forgot, at least for some time, that they were the unwanted. The immediate reaction from the crowd was "What's your name? When will you come back?"

Almost in tears, I assured them I will visit again with my wife after marriage. They blessed our team, wished us all the very best, prayed for our success. All this just because we gave them some attention.

A combination of joy and responsibility swept my heart as I walked towards our vehicle.

PS: This is the catalyst I have been waiting for.
Photo 1: Photo with my fans toward the end.
Photo 2: Me dancing to a folk song
                                                                                    Photo 3: Group photo at the end.

 For more pics:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=photographs.vinay&target=ALBUM&id=5483414231730370417&authkey=Gv1sRgCOPvsKKAweHbaA&invite=CJXRq_YL&feat=email

and

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/sredir?uname=photographs.vinay&target=PHOTO&id=5483412290983685682&aid=5483410337336790929&authkey=Gv1sRgCM3niYGVw-2xNA&feat=email
13 comments:

Thanks for writing this :)


Wonderful Vinay. I was happy to be part of this thread "Young at Heart". We went to "My Home", an old age home in Bowenpally. We spoke to most of the inmates and they felt happy talking to us.

Most of them were admitted to "My Home" by their children. What a bloody pity?

One of the elderly women said she did not want her children's family to be disturbed by her presence, while another smiling grand old lady proudly said her stay at the old age home was the best and she did not want to be with her children any more - when and why would a mother say so?


I pity those people who left these grand old people in the old age homes. They will never ever understand their greatness. It is a shame on those who cannot revere old people.


This comment has been removed by the author.

Heartfelt post and my heart melt seeing this... If interested, will let you know few places nearby our colony...which we can often visit and serve such abandoned people.. In fact, we can create a group interested in these activities.. Would have been even better if you had explained the situations present in the pics..


Thanks a lot for your comments.
@Sridevi: Thanks for the suggestions. If your comment is for the pics in Picasa, it will take time for me to write comment, but if it is on the blog I will do it.


Hey lets be honest and truth full to what we are really did. can any one of us who participated in this so called impact day went home thinking they really did some thing ...i doubt. its nothing but pomp, 95% of all who participated in this just whiled away the time at the company's expense .....this is biggest Hippocratic act of Deloitte.


I was referring to pics in picasa.. at least, for few of them..

@Anonymous: I thought of the same when I saw few Deloittees on the roads of Gachibowli moving here and there..They were just passing the time.. but, I do not think what is narrated here is just a story and time-pass.. I expect at least few of them really carry realities of those unprivileged people if that was a heartfelt service..


@Anonymous: I think you were part of the Impact Day. I partially agree with you. With the information I gathered, at every location there were one or two active participants, while the others supported them. That doesn't mean that the supporting team was not involved.

I am confident that a majority of Deloitte employees have enjoyed this responsibility. I could see the enthusiasm and a sense of satisfaction the next working day.

@ Sridevi: I will add comments this weekend. Thanks for the idea of visiting places around our locality. I will definitely love to do that.


I agree with u vinay , how ever given the scale of event and the number of participants and the amount of money spent the impact is insignificant, i am not telling every one has whiled away time few of them really worked hard, my point is that the crores that were probably spent on logistics and and the time of all the employees ,it could have been spent in a better way after all its a community service and huge money is being spent better sense should have prevailed. my post is not intended to discourage any one but to make every one realize that at least when one is doing community service one should ensure that it done in a responsible way.i am sorry if i had hurt any one by what i wrote but i was part of three impact days and i felt that it was more of a grand spectacle rather than a great service.


@Anonymous: I agree with you. Lots of money was spent on t-shirts, eateries etc. The expenditure could have been done more judiciously.


This comment has been removed by the author.

It was indeed a memorable experience for me too, and getting blessings from the elderly was heartwarming. And kudos to you for your excellent hosting. I never knew you could be so natural on stage... :)

@anonymous: Even if we are successful in bringing smiles on the faces of these abandoned lot... I think the motive of community service is achieved...and moreover, I am sure a lot of us would like to go back and visit such places unofficially too, and make them smile...so I guess Impact Day does has its impact on us volunteers too and the goal is more than met!!! :)


Bienvenido!


Enjoy reading.


Please feed my Comments Section and also the fish in the container below.

Hi I'm

My photo
Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh, India
Male and married.